Saturday, March 3, 2012

Project Move: Day 3 Heavenly Drive

     During the long 7.5 hour drive from Carlsbad to Sacramento to look for a rental, I had a little visit from my mom in the shotgun seat.  I've been thinking about her a lot lately.  Maybe it's because Blair, my sister, gave me a vial of Mom's ashes to carry in my purse during my interview.  But, this was more than thinking about Mom.  I could feel her right next to me in the car.  Then Sheryl Crow's CD changed to the song, "Safe and Sound," and I heard " 'til your safe and sound!"  I had no doubt then that she was riding shotgun with me again!  I hadn't had a visit from her in the shotgun seat, since I was journeying to Fresno for my cousin's funeral.  It'd been too long.
     I opened up my mind to hear what she needed to say.  She was happy that I was finally heading home to the safety of my large childhood family.  She was also happy that I was carrying on her legacy of working with homeless and "At Risk" children.  She worked in her later years as an English teacher at Mustard Seed School for homeless children until she died. 
     Then I got the feeling that her dad, a former, feared, grade school principal, was also quite happy about how I've recreated myself as a math teacher.  I was touched at that and thought how interesting it is that after all that I've done in life, he views what I'm about to do as noteworthy enough to communicate to me.  How empowering!
     Then I got the feeling that my dad's mom, to whom I was very close, was also there in the car rooting me on.  She had left school after 4th grade to work to support her alcoholic father and later became a self-made millionairess; however, before she left school, her life had become so financially destitute from her dad's drinking that a very special teacher in her life gave her used clothes, so she had more to wear to school.  My grandma wanted me to do the same for others like her. 
     I feel so grateful that so many in this world and in Heaven have been rooting for me all this time!  It's comforting to know that I wasn't alone in spirit during my struggle to recreate myself.  It's comforting to know that I can give back like my mom did to the homeless and complete her circle of life, and can give like my grandma's teacher did to continue that circle of life.  It's also comforting to know that I'm loved some much that I rate visits from Heaven!  Thanks God!

No comments:

Post a Comment