Thursday, March 29, 2012

Project Move: Day 29 More Hands, Faster Work

    For the most part, it was wonderful having my son here with me.  We started out the day with strawberry pancakes topped with Cool Whip.  Then he informed me that he was leaving for San Francisco at lunchtime.  That meant I had to sprint to prepare for the work with which I needed his help. 
    Fortunately, I happened upon the ruffle skirt for my master bed in a box that was formerly in storage.  There's no way I would have been able to lift the king size mattress and put the skirt between it and the box springs.  I couldn't believe my luck at finding it!  So I quickly learned how to use my new iron for serious sewers and ironed and ironed and ironed the long ruffled skirt.  Drew lifted up the mattress when I finished ironing, and my bed was complete at last!
    Tearfully, I asked if he could stay a little while longer, so we could play Scrabble and celebrate his birthday.  He couldn't emotionally handle my tears and withdrew within himself.  I was more than at a loss.  I was dumbfounded by his reaction.
    "Am I pushing you away?"
    "Don't say that."
    Escaping down the stairs to hide my upset from him, I called Blair to see if we could bring those boxes over and get that couch.  Lying on the rug in a comforter and watching TV was getting really old.  She was there, so I asked Drew when he'd be ready to go over there.  He didn't want to help me.  He just wanted to leave for San Francisco.
    "I need your help.  Let's clear out the Nissan of my things and hop in the Suburban and take care of this quickly.  Then we can go get lunch before you go."
     "I'll just go after we bring the couch back."
     My heart sank.  I was so lonely for him, but he was running away from me.
     He was very helpful, but quiet at Blair's house.  We finished quickly.  Once we got the couch inside the house, he left.  So I invited Blair out to lunch to repay her for her kindness.  As I drove over to our local deli, I saw Drew driving by me.  Oh, well.  I'm stinky, chopped liver, I guess.
     He'd previously informed me that he was going to take summer school at Mira Costa College in Encinitas to recover his units and get his GPA up, and instead of getting a philosophy degree which he was thinking about last week, he's going to get a degree in audio, electrical engineering.  I'm so glad that his dad put some sense into his head!  I'm sad that I won't see him during the summer, though.
     Sacramento has junior colleges, too, where he could recover his credits, but it isn't as alluring as San Diego.  We don't have a good city marketer.  There's truly more things to do here---rafting, biking, hiking, skiing, and seeing beautiful waterfalls that aren't just stains in the summer.  Drew just has to give this place a chance. 
     After Blair and I had lunch, I researched recycling dumps for my moving paper which Blair didn't want.  Most places wanted me to pay them to dump my paper, but I found the Recycling Center on Power Inn Road that actually paid me $6---gas money---to take my paper!  Yay!  Now I know how to get rid of all my boxes, and it's on the way to and from work.  :-)
     When I arrived home, my garage was clear enough to park my Suburban inside.  No more complaints about my truck from the neighbors!  I was in disbelief that I was able to clear that garage so fast.  I'm so happy to have my truck inside again.  When it's a rainy day, it's really wonderful to step out of the truck and be dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment