Saturday, March 24, 2012

Project Move: Day 24 Cleaning House & Meeting My Petitioner Again

    Since this is the first time that I've not been with Drew on his birthday, I had to keep myself mighty occupied.  Dry cleaning the stored area rug and my living room couch----my action item for the day---would certainly occupy me.  My Kirby was duct taped at the bottom, so I had a feeling that when I finished vacuuming the lower floor and changed the Kirby over to a dry cleaner that I'd have problems.  I was right.
     Unfortunately, the vacuum bag connector broke and didn't spin off.  That would not do.  I could not attach the dry cleaner to that outlet with the broken piece of plastic there.  I tried vice grips, but none were large enough.  Then I got out the hack saw. lol  That did the trick!  Off came the broken plastic. :-)
     So I dry cleaned the family room area rug that had left over darts stuck in the shag when the movers unrolled it.  It was just that dirty!  Then I attacked the living room furniture that had become my everyday furniture while I was in the apartment.  White couches are not meant to be used everyday.  Hopefully, the Kirby dry cleaning solution will whiten it back up!
      Once that dry cleaning was all done, I had to find a Kirby dealer that was still in business.  So I called around and found one that was closing in 45 minutes.  It was in my old neighborhood, Sierra Oaks, so I found it with only a little disorientation before it closed.
      The Kirby guy got irritated that I just threw the outer bag away with the broken connector.  He got a bag assembly like mine and showed me how to disassemble it and rebuild it.  While I had him repair a lamp cover on motor section, I practiced disassembling and rebuilding the bag assembly to make sure that I could do it at home.  He joked that he was teaching me "Kirby Assembly 101."
      At home I enjoyed the clean smell of the a drycleaned home, retrieved the bag assembly from the trash and rebuilt my Kirby.  No more duct tape!  No more broken lamp cover!  Now I have my awesome Kirby workhorse ready for action again---which will be tomorrow when the carpet and furniture are dry.  I have to vacuum up the dirt that the solution makes rise to the top. 
      I'm going to have to rise once more today and go meet my petitioner at 9 pm for dessert at our neighborhood Starbucks.  When I researched him on the internet, I found out about his firewood and landscape contracting businesses that he owns (even the estimated earnings of the businesses!), that he has a huge pit bull, the names of all his many siblings, and that he is in Sacramento Hikers and also Dungeon and Dragons Meet Up Groups.  I played Dungeon and Dragons when I was in high school.  I'm not quite sure why an adult would be playing that game, but I'll keep my mind open. 
      He's also 40.  My sister, Blair, told me not to tell him my age---no matter what.  lol  Our great grandmother was ~11 years older than our great grandfather, so I guess that looking younger than we are is a familial trait.  She never told anyone her age and didn't have a birth certificate which is why it's so hard to track down who she actually was.  We think that she's the Miami Indian in our family which would explain why Blair looks like an American Indian.
      Well, at least my petitioner isn't too much younger than me.  It will be nice to get to know someone with whom I have so much in common.  If nothing else, I'll be making a new friend tonight.  I always need friends who like outdoor adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment