Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Project Move: Day 27 Appointment Day

    Next week I actually start working, so I want to get all my appointments out of the way before then.  Since I ran out of contact lenses, I had my optometry appointment today.  My prescription was really wrong for my contacts and my glasses.  Here I thought that I was just going blind with age!  I bought the contacts on my medical plan and when the school's benefits plan kicks in, I'll get the right prescription for my glasses.  It always amazes me why my eyes continually change.  I wish that they'd stabilize and save me some money!
    After that I called my Midas in Encinitas and asked what my last services were.  My "Service Engine" light was on, and I figured it was another software glitch, since my truck just turned over 150,000 miles.  Sure enough I did have Midas do my 150,000 miles services early, so I took the Suburban in to a nearby Midas to get them to turn off the light.  Unfortunately, their diagnostic computer found that my oxygen sensor was bad.  Ugh!
     They fixed it in a few hours after delivering me to the nearby Sunrise Mall Foodcourt.  The adult transition program of the area was having lunch there.  It reminded me of my substitute teaching days.  A fellow with Turrets was busy swearing and shouldn't have been left inside---bothering others.  Even the other students were annoyed.
     The food court Japanese food was almost inedible.  I choked it down and went to explore my new local mall.  It was only one story and run down compared to North County San Diego Malls.  I went in to Macys and was disappointed with the styles displayed on the mannequins.  The styles were so unflattering and meant to hide figures that weren't in shape.
      Unfortunately, I was stuck at the mall until my truck was ready, so I wandered and wandered between the clothes.  Finally, my eyes found cute clothes hidden behind other clothes.  I ended up getting a couple full outfits and shoes and got an even bigger discount when I opened a Macys account!
      I'm starting to feel like I'm single handedly reversing the recession with all this money that I've been spending lately.  My ski purchase is still looming.  At least I still have great ski body suits, since my figure always stays the same.  I'm actually down a few pounds now, because of all the unpacking and heavy cleaning.
      Tonight I'm getting even more exercise.  I'm going dancing with an old friend from high school.  He and I were in the high school mountaineering club together.  In high school he was always the younger, scrawny guy who was a lot of fun.  We've been Facebook friends for a year or two, and when he lost his job, he noticed that one of his former bosses was a dear family friend and asked me for help.  I did let my family friend know of my mountaineering friend's job situtation, though I hate to strain friendships with business dealings.
      It'll be good to see my mountaineering friend again.  It's been 31 years!  If it wasn't for Facebook, I would have never even thought of returning to Sacramento.  But my fun, mountaineering friend sure made Sacto sound wonderful with all his dancing, skiing, and hiking adventures.
      It's a bad night to go out.  We're having a storm warning, but he and I were roped during white-outs, buried in snow caves, and lost cross country skiing in the snowy wilderness together.  Being diswayed from a meeting due to a little rain would mean that San Diego has made me whimpy.  No chance!
      Right before I left to go dancing, my petitioner called me back.  He had already left me a message on my phone calling me "Sweetie," so I wanted to nip that quickly.  He's 6'-4" and can dent up my Suburban by ramming it with his body, so I let him down as gently as I could. 
      I explained to him, "I really like you, but I only want to be friends. I'm starting a new life and a new job and I want to be free to discover what I want to do now."  He wasn't happy about my decision, but understood.  He wanted to talk more about it, but I explained that I had to meet a friend that I hadn't seen for 31 years at 7pm, and I didn't have time.  Then I dashed out the door into the pouring rain.
      Club 21 was our meeting place.  They have free East Coast Swing dance lessons on Tuesday night.  I felt like I was back at UC Berkeley taking dancing lessons.  We ladies circulated around to each male lead after we learned a new step.  Then my friend showed up, and I gave him a big hug.  I wish that I was attracted to him.  He's so fun, and we have the same interests, but alas we are just friends.
      He had sent an e-mail out to his dance friends asking them to all dance with me.  Boy, did they.  I'm exhausted and my feet ache!  I did get a lot better by the end of the evening.  Just watching the great dancers was a learning experience!
       I did have a sudden flash that my ex-husband was there.  That's never happened before, but dancing was our thing.  We took expensive dance lessons together when the kids were babies---before we moved to San Diego.  We actually got really good.   Eventually we stopped dancing together.  I wonder if we had kept dancing, if that would have helped our marriage.  Dancing is such a bonding experience.
      Dancing is the bond that the Lt. Colonel and I had, too.  After dancing with so many different men all night long, I was amazed at how he and I could immediately dance well together.  Now that I have some perspective about dancing, his swooping moves were extremely difficult.   He also lead me so well that I didn't need to know anything---I just felt his lead and unconsciously responded.  We are magical when we dance together.

No comments:

Post a Comment