Friday, March 2, 2012

Project Move: Day 2

   During the night I realized that I would have to drive one of my two cars up to Sacramento, leave it at my sister's house, and fly back down to San Diego.  Yuk!  That means that the second trip I have to drive my old Suburban all the way to Sacramento without a stereo.  Ahhh!  Perhaps I will plug in a stand alone CD player in to the cigarette lighter and pray that the truck runs smoothly enough that the CD won't malfunction.  I certainly can't sing for 8 hours straight! lol
   The alarm soon sent me out of the gates running.  My first stop was my trust paralegal.  I couldn't use my new living trust for my kids without some important typos corrected.  After a painstakingly long search, she found my documents created in December, and we got the trust amended properly.  Now that's off my list of moving items.
    Since she lived near the regional office of my new employer, I popped in to see if I could get an official verification of employment and salary packet from them to show my future landlords this weekend.  My salary packet was quite pleasing to see after all these years of substitute teaching!  I will definitely be able to take care of myself for the rest of my life.  That's a peaceful feeling. :-)
    My final major task on the project plan was get three quotes from movers.  So that filled my afternoon.  I can't believe the first mover quoted me $8800!  That's almost twice what I paid when I downsized from a mansion to my last house---4300 sq. ft. to 3100 sq. ft.  Now I have a 1600 sq. ft apartment that is partially furnished.  There had to be a huge mistake with the weight of my things!
   At least my second quote was more in the ballpark of my moving budget, and I could see from the quote how to lower my packaging costs by packing items myself.  I also loaded my car up with all my "The Romance of Kilimanjaro" books.  That will certainly reduce the packing weight by a few hundred pounds. $$$ saved. 
    While contemplating how to reduce my packing weight, I was also pondering on leaving my friend, Rosa's husband, more ceramic pots and specimen plants.  He already has some of my designer pots with specimen plants that I left at their home to enjoy while I lived in a little apartment.  Sergio, Rosa's husband, has been telling me how much he's enjoyed propagating those specimen plants.  If I collect my pots and plants this time, I'm sure Sergio will be shocked.  I usually give him my designer pots with the specimen plants each time that I move.  This time, though, I want to keep my San Diego plants for sentimental reasons.  I may never live here again.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment