Saturday, March 17, 2012

Project Move: Day 17 Murphy's Law Day

   Originally, the movers were supposed to deliver my things today, but informed me once they loaded most of my things on the truck that they might not be able to deliver on Saturday.  Sure enough, when I called the movers on Friday and explained that there's a break in the storm on Saturday and not on Monday, it didn't matter.  The 2-4 day delivery window would not be day 2 or 3, but day 4. "We can deliver in the rain and snow without damaging your things," the moving manager explained.  Let's hope so.
   This threw "Project Move" way off.  There was no TV for DirectTV to connect this morning, so I rescheduled them for Tuesday---to make sure that my TV was there this time.  I did get my Internet and land line via Comcast today.  I have to have a land line to buzz people in the gate, otherwise I wouldn't have one anymore.  Comcast also has a TV option, but apparently it's one of the more expensive TV providers, so I'll stay with DirectTV.
    My Sams Club online purchase of mattresses was weighing on me, too.  My delivery scheduler mentioned that I had two king sets and two full sets arriving.  That was news to me!  I double checked my order with Sams Club and sure enough the "2 pk" didn't mean box spring and mattress---it meant two sets of box springs and mattresses.  Bummer! 
    The Sams Club customer service representative told me to call the delivery company and deny the delivery, since I didn't want so many mattresses.  Then the delivery warehouse will return it to Sams Club, and I'll get refunded.
    With a heavy heart, I denied the delivery.  Now I didn't have beds at my condo arriving on Tuesday and mattresses have a long lead time.  I thought, "I'm going to have to take time off work for a mattress delivery now!"
    My brother-in-law came to my rescue.  He suggested that I look at Sleep Train Mattresses.  They deliver the next day.  Then he found a Sleep Train store on the Internet, so we stopped in after I took my sister and him out to lunch as a "Thank You" for letting me stay with them for so long. 
    Trying out mattresses after lunch is a good time.  We needed to lay on the mattresses and rest our stomachs.  While I was resting a stranger passed me and told me, "Wake up!" lol  Despite my Murphy's Day, I did find new mattresses---one for me and one for my son---and it'll be delivered tomorrow!!!  Woohoo! 
    More exciting is that my son, Drew, will be with me for Spring Break from college tomorrow.  He's delayed a day, since my sister's son who's picking him up is staying an extra day in San Francisco with friends and Drew.  What timing! We'll be able to stay at my condo, so we can enjoy our new sanctuary and de-stress. I was so relieved.  My sister was running out of beds.
    Once I handled all my issues blocking a successful move, I realized that my niece, Nicole, was throwing a St. Patrick's Day party.  I encouraged my sister, Blair, and her husband to go with me to see my niece's home and enjoy her party.  They did.
     My niece's dad, my other brother-in-law is very Irish, so St. Patrick's Day has always been a huge celebration for their family.  Now that I'm back in their lives, it's wonderful to learn about how they like to celebrate life.  They had quite a spread of Irish eats---corned beef and cabbage; Irish-Car-Bomb cupcakes; Irish-Creme cupcakes; alcoholic, green, Lemon, Ice Tea; Irish Whisky; and lots of other green-dyed food.
     It was quite fun to see Nicole's version of a "Man Cave" in their one-car garage.  She had a ping pong table and dart board with Christmas lights hung in the rafters.  How fun!  It was also fun playing with the baby boy of Nicole's cousin.  He loved all the attention that he got and especially loved Blair dancing with him.  It's good to be back with my childhood family after over a quarter of a century of absence.

No comments:

Post a Comment