Sunday, January 22, 2012

Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA)

   I learned a new medical term today at mass: Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA), a mini stroke.  My alto friend since 1995 had a TIA attack near the end of mass.  Our choir was singing away and normally I only look at the altar, but I was transfixed on my friend amidst the congregation.   She and I sang alto next to each other for so many years. Now she was in the congregation and suddenly surrounded by quite a lot of paramedics.
   She had quit the choir, because she couldn't stand for long periods of time anymore.  She's well into her 80's now.   Being born and raised in Germany this weakness causing her to quit and the weakness shown in mass today must have been hard for her, especially as they wheeled her out to the ambulance.  I have to admit that I showed my own weakness and burst into tears during the last song.  She's been like a mother to me when I needed child rearing advice after my mom died. 
   Fortunately, my friend recovered after mass and is fine.  They did take her to the hospital for more tests, however.  It's times like these that make me realize how delicate our bodies are.  They are so temporary.  All we can do is keep them in shape, get wellness exams, and stay out of the way of moving vehicles.  Then we can hang around longer and love more people. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment