Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Did I Get a Traffic Ticket or Not?

      One stormy November night I was driving home from my first writers conference and I got lost around Sports Arena Blvd.  I searched for the I-5 and finally found a plethora of signs to read for directions as I crossed Rosecrans.  Unfortunately,  the light changed to red as I was following the cars in front of me and trying to comprehend the signs.
      Fortunately, no one started through the intersection, but police lights beamed through my back window.  I pulled over and waited for the policeman to approach the car.  After he asked for my license and registration, I reached over, opened my glove compartment, and the whole thing came out of the dashboard!  "Oh, that's precious!"  I said as I put the glove compartment in my lap and fished out my paperwork.
      The policeman apologetically wrote me a ticket, even though I have a great driving record.  I told him, "It's bad to go through the red lights,  I'm just very lost."    Then I asked him for directions to the I-5 freeway.  He helped me, and I gave him a free bookmark as I told him that I'm a new author of "The Romance of Kilimanjaro."  Then I waited for my ticket to arrive in the mail.
       The ticket never arrived, though.  I figured that the policeman must have changed his mind about the ticket.  When I was telling a friend how gracious this policeman was to me, she explained once the ticket is written and signed its in the system.  So I checked the online system today, and it wasn't there either.  Did I get a traffic ticket or not?  That is the question.

No comments:

Post a Comment