Saturday, January 21, 2012

Perils of Dating

    In this world there is competition for everything.  Trying to get a teaching job in California is quite a nightmare.  There's hundreds of applicants for every position.  I've been fortunate to get many interviews, but I've never quite landed the job.  Over the years of searching for a teaching job I've taken solace in the fact that God probably just wanted me to write my book, "The Romance of Kilimanjaro."
    Dating is also not easy at midlife.  There's a lot of competition.  I don't know how to play that game either.  After being left for a 30-year old woman by a 50-year old man and leaving someone untrue by giving them up for Lent, I finally decided that I'm fine without a man.  Dating was wasting valuable time that I could be spending writing my books. 
    I was at peace until I realized that God didn't create me to be alone, even though I'm very capable of living the rest of my life that way.  I needed an Adam or in my case Tarzan with which to kiss.  Why did God program me that way?  Why? 
    When I started to fall in love with the someone who was eventually untrue, an inner smile exuded from me to my students and my steps bounced lightly.  There's nothing like that feeling of being in love!  Then I discovered that he was untrue.  I closed my heart to dating to protect myself and held onto my inner smile as long as I could. 
    It took almost a year before my inner smile became pained and my steps methodical and heavy again from no kisses.  I'm not happy about the cure.  I'm downright afraid of the cure! I'm trying to date again, though.  This time, however, I asked God to just throw the right man into my path---to make it simple for me, since He can.  
    Last week God seemed to be merciful to me and do just that.  I had four great days of adventure with a kind, loving, honorable, intelligent, athletic man.  God just won't answer me clearly when I ask if this man's the one.  This is actually good, however.  His answer is usually a loud, "NO!" and I move on.  lol  At least my inner smile is back and my steps bounce lightly again.  There's nothing like being kissed by a great guy! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment