Friday, January 13, 2012

Soccer PE

   I picked up a guest teaching position for Spanish today at an elite high school in my area.  This position also included soccer physical education (PE) to my surprise!  Fortunately, it was a beautiful, warm day.  The roll sheet had 95% ethnic names which made sense, since soccer is such a beloved international sport.
   The wounded students had to sit out with me.  They were also new to America.  Perhaps they were trying to fit in so much while playing soccer that they got hurt.  There was a Chinese Australian, Iranian, Taiwanese, Mexican, and Chinese (Hong Kong) student with me as we watched some fabulous soccer.  I did teach the bored bench, "1, 2, 3, 4, I declare a thumb war!"  When the Mexican student used his index finger to change his losing position to a winning position, I slowly remarked to the Taiwanese student who just got his thumb trapped, "If there is no way to win, you have to change the rules!"  They both laughed.
    I watched some marvelous footwork, headbutts, and goal tending as the students played a full game.  Many of the Mexicans in this PE class are also from Mexico City.  Perhaps some Mexico City residents can afford to live in Rancho Santa Fe when they move to America.  What a fabulous way to end a working week---watching some great soccer played by some great soccer players!

No comments:

Post a Comment