Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Overwhelmed by the Thought of Moving!

    Overwhelm overtook me today as I searched the Internet for rental housing in Sacramento today.  Zillow always has a few unethical real estate brokers who list a fake exquisite rental for dirt cheap just to get your contact information---when you submit that you're interested.  I searched for another comprehensive rental listing, but found none.  Then I remembered that Craig's List has a great rental section.  It's not as user friendly as Zillow.  I had to juggle between Yahoo Maps and Craig's List to figure out if the listing was in an acceptable area.
    My concentration was soon broken when Vanessa called.  She wanted to give me a "Going Away" party and asked me what format I would like.  I could have an Open House, since I have so many friends from so many walks of life, or a small intimate party.  I decided to have an Open House format, but started sobbing at the thought of saying, "Good-bye," to my friends that I've made in North County San Diego over these last 17 years. 
    Though I will have a very special place in my heart for my North County friends, when I visit I won't have the ability or time to maintain a physical connection with all of them.  Some of my friends I may not see for decades, scores, or ever.  The reality of that thought broke my heart. 
     It's not good to have a broken heart and be stressed by a move when you have to get a physical.  During my physical (Wellness Exam) my blood pressure was high for me 120/80.  My heart rate was a high 79 beats per minutes, too.  During the doctor's office visit, I even started sobbing when I told her that I was moving away for a really rewarding and meaningful teaching job. 
     My nurse practioner had a great idea for me.  She had moved from Chicago to San Diego a few years ago and was also overwhelmed at making huge housing decisions when she didn't know the area.  She decided to get a furnished vacation rental for a few months and use that as her base to look for permanent housing. 
     When I remarked, "I don't know if Sacramento has a vacation rental market."
     She said, "Just about anywhere has vacation rentals.  You'd be surprised!"
     My overwhelm eased from my nurse practioner's healing advice.  I have a better house hunting strategy now.  I don't have to make huge housing decisions in a rush.  I may be living in Sacramento for about 40 more years, so I'm going to take my time to find the right, unique property, so I don't have to move again.

No comments:

Post a Comment