Friday, February 24, 2012

Kayaking Away the Stress

    It dawned on me as I awoke that my traffic sitation that was never mailed to me or acknowledged on the San Diego Traffic Court website could pose a problem for getting this teaching job, even if all three of my interviews were good.  If the sitation wasn't thrown away by the officer, I could have a warrant out for my arrest for failure to appear in court! 
    After breakfast I scanned my sitation for any clue how I could contact a human being about my issue.  Below the court location, a phone number was listed.  I checked the automated phone system twice.  There was no record of it.  My sitation appeared to have been thrown away by the police officer.  There was no option for talking to a human being to verify that unfortunately. 
    I decided that I'd done all that I could to pay my traffic ticket.  Now I could face my third teaching interview without the worry of another unexpected event derailing my progress toward becoming a contracted math teacher and saving my teaching credential from expiration.
    The interview went well.  They asked why I wanted to be a math teacher, since I'm capable of doing so many other careers.  I explained, "I was once told that I should collect my medical records.  Thinking that I was dying, I thought about how I'd lived my life.  I was happy with it; however, I did regret that I had never tried to be a math teacher.  When my massive tumor was removed and was benign, I started my pursuit of being a math teacher."
    Later I got ahold of surferdude to tell him that I had a third interview.  I figured that I'd talk about something other than "I'm scared that your going to die of another heartattack," but I really needed to talk about his heart.  I asked how he was feeling.   He's still tired, but went surfing yesterday.  He added that he was driving to Tamarack beach to go surfing again. 
    I told him that I'd just driven down the coast highway to check out the ocean for kayaking.  There was a lot of white water and surfers.  The waves had a nice lip.  It should be good.  He remarked that whether the waves were big or little he could surf them and make them good.  I smiled remembering when he did a 180 degree turn with his longboard on a little wave during a nose-riding competition---just so he could do something cool, since the waves weren't cooperating. 
     Redirecting him, I asked what his doctors had discovered about his heart.  Apparently, his EKG was abnormal.  That's all they know.
    "You have a heart defect just like your dad.  You need to find a doctor that can figure out just what heart defect you have.  You can't just say, 'Oh, I'm not planning on living long, because my dad only made it to 56.' 
     "I didn't lay down and die when I found out I inherited BRCA 1 from my mother.  I figured out how to beat the cancer before I got it.  You need to figure out how to beat your inherited heart defect.  Anything less is not worthy of a world champion.  People love you, so if you need money for your medical bills to get your heart fixed, I'm sure they'd help."
      He agreed, but had his sights on some waves at Tamarack Beach. 
      "You have fun surfing."
      "You have fun kayaking."
      I did have fun kayaking.  I saw a fin sticking straight out of the water in the distance.  It looked like it was a dead dolphin, shark, or sea lion snagged on a lobster trap.
    It ended up being a sleeping sea lion.
    Later I saw a stingray swimming along the top of the water.  I'd never seen that in the wild before---only at Sea World.
     Upon my return to Ponto Beach, I ran into the pod of dolphins that I know.  The triplets swim so fast now!  Baby dolphins grow up too quickly!
     Finally, it was time to get ashore.  I had trouble catching a wave.  A wave had no trouble catching me, though.  It rolled me right over!  There's nothing like cold ocean water to make you feel alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment