Thursday, February 2, 2012

Hip Hop, the Dance of Warriors

   Today I started a multiple day math teaching assignment at Mission Hills High School.  The math teacher is at cheer leading Nationals in Florida.  Besides math she teaches is dance/cheer leading PE.  What fun is that!!!  I was in heaven---being a former dance choreographer for some musicals while in high school.
    The A-team cheerleaders are in Florida, but the B-team is still quite good.  I have to admit that my attention was on the hip hop dancers as they choreographed a new routine, though.  I was trying to figure out what makes hip hop, so different from other dances like jazz.  What is the underlying theme of hip hop dance?  As I watched, I saw the ladies joke around doing the hip hop booty dance.  I asked the hip hop coach, "Is hip hop a booty dance?"
     "No, we're just putting in a little booty dance as a joke, since our rival high school's hip hop only does booty dance.  Booty dance isn't really dancing.  Anyone can do that."
     So I watched intently.  I noticed the ladies playing around doing girly moves like it was so uncool.  I mimicked their hand positioning and realized that it looked like I was pretending to hold and wave a gun.  Then the light bulb went on.  Hip hop is the dance of the warriors!  These young ladies were doing a warrior dance!  That is what hip hop is all about.

P.S.  To my blog readers:  If you want to support a struggling math/engineering teacher and author, please buy my first book, "The Romance of Kilimanjaro," soon to be followed by my second book at:  https://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore/book.php?w=9781613464960         Thank You!

No comments:

Post a Comment