Tuesday, February 28, 2012

First Author Speaking Engagement

    Tonight at REI I did my first speaking engagement as Isolde Ulrich, author of "The Romance of Kilimanjaro."  I decided to go the speaking route as a way to sell books, since I speak all day in front of 35 students that I don't know every day as a substitute teacher.  Regular book signings seem to have a small market reach and other authors have told me horror stories about no one showing up for book signings.  To buffer myself from disappointment, I was expecting the worst---2 or 3 people in the audience.
    To manage my stress, I arrived early to set up the projector with my computer.  However, my computer decided to be a royal pain as more and more of my audience started filtering in 20 minutes before my show.  Windows Media Player froze, so I had to calmly restart my computer while quipping to my growing audience, "When in doubt, restart."
    Finally, Windows Media Player cooperated---with a little help from the REI manager.  As I looked up to start the show the room was packed!  All the chairs were taken and more chairs had to be brought for the people left standing.
    42 people actually showed up for my movie, "Kilimanjaro and Safari Slideshow!"  The REI manager couldn't believe it.  Normally only 8 people show up for a speaking engagement.  During the 40 minute movie which I narrate in person, the audience laughed and asked brief questions.  Once it ended they applauded.  That was so gratifying!
    Then I opened it up to questions.  The questions were endless and full of hunger for the experience!  They wanted to know more about how I trained, what I ate on the mountain, how I stayed warm, how much the trip cost me, what medicines that I took.... Their hands just kept popping up for almost an hour!
    Remembering how focused I was on the summit of Kilimanjaro before my trip, I wanted to remind my audience the importance of the journey to the summit---part of a successful summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro is the experience along the way.  I emphacized, "I know that summitting is your main objective, this trip is expensive, and you don't want to fail, but bonding with all the other mountaineers from all over the world as you walk "pole pole" (slowly slowly) makes the experience more rich. 
   "Also learn endearing words in Swahili, because that is the love language of your guides.  It makes them feel good that you tried to learn their language and helps build a bond with them.  Then you will have the full Mt. Kilimanjaro experience."
    Once we ended, I signed books while answering more questions and listening to beautiful stories of Kilimanjaro from other climbers who had just come to relive the Kilimanjaro experience.  I felt like I was back on the mountain again with all my mountaineering friends. It was a wonderful feeling to be a part of this REI community. It was a wonderful feeling to inspire and help people successfully summit Mt. Kilimanjaro.  It was just wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment