Thursday, February 16, 2012

From Carlsbad to Sacramento

   On Wednesday, Feb. 15th it was quite stormy in Southern California.  At the pass out of LA to Ventura the rain was so hard that driving next to the concrete fastlane barrier was treacherous with so little visibility.  Fortunately, I made it out of LaLa Land before any major accident happened.
    At the Grapevine it was snowing.  That was a first for me, and I've made this drive for 35 years!  I actually saw a snow plow on the highway there.  With all the salted slush on the highway I was really glad that the highway surface is all scored up there---I had better tire traction.
    Once I descended into the southern San Jacquin Valley I immediately noticed a profusion of cherry tree blossoms.  It was gorgeous!  I wondered as I passed the plethora of orchards why we don't eat the cherry tree blossoms like the Japanese do.  I just loved some of their cherry blossom treats.
    At 5pm I made it to Sacramento.  The traffic wasn't bad in my direction---Hwy 99 North to Hwy 50 East.  I also noticed that in downtown Sacramento that I could see the snow-capped Sierras in the distance.  That doesn't happen very often.  I felt blessed!  They must have had a rainstorm wash the smog out of the sky.
    Finally, I made it to my sister, Blair's house.  She whisked me off to see her son's new alternative high school, the Met, as soon as I parked.  They had a special parent orientation about taking college classes while in high school there.  Apparently, the Met has a partnership with Sacramento City College and Sacramento State University.  The Met high school students can take these college classes for as little as $20/class.  How amazing is that?
     I did manage  to surprise my nephew by showing up unannounced at his school.  That was precious!

No comments:

Post a Comment