Thursday, February 9, 2012

My Interviewer Asked, "Rate Your Flexibility"

   After I got home from work I had a phone interview with an alternative high school up in Sacramento, my birthplace.  One of the questions was "On a scale of 1-10 with 10 the highest rate your flexibility." 
    "I'd say a 10."
    "Could you explain why you think that?"
    "Having been a sub for 5 years, I never really know where I'm going to teach each day.  I'm like a teaching firefighter.  I just pick up the job and go."

    I also had reflected upon how my day started, but didn't have the time to tell her.  I headed to San Marcos High School, parked my car in their distant staff parking lot, enjoyed my walk of a few blocks to the school, got to the front sign, and found that the whole high school was gone!!!  It was demolished to the ground with security fences all around the rubble.
    Pausing in my steps I thought, "That makes it hard to work at this school if it's gone!"  I pondered, "I'll watch and see where the students are walking.  They'll lead me to wherever they've relocated the school."  I turned around and headed back to where I last saw some students walking.  In the distance I saw a student turn and walk along this path with construction fencing all around it.  I followed.  Soon more and more students were walking with me.  Eventually I saw someone in a golf cart and asked where the administration building is located, so I could check in.  I finally found the distant portable marked "Administration" and started my work day on time with "At Risk" math students.

    I got a second in-person interview btw. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment