Tuesday, February 7, 2012

BTSA, Beginning Teacher Support and Assessment and Nightmare

    BTSA, beginning teacher support and assessment, was created to help beginning teachers to survive beyond their first year.  Now there are too many new teachers, no teaching jobs, and preliminary teaching credentials that will expire without the opportunity of BTSA.  BTSA hinders beginning teachers from surviving---if they never get a full two-year contract.
     I've had a semester contract with BTSA and taught three summer school sessions without BTSA which amounts to 3 years of regular teaching.  The rest of the time that I've had my preliminary teaching credential and Masters of Educational Best Practices I've substitute taught without BTSA---for 5 years.  My credential will expire soon. 
     I never got that elusive contracted teaching job that lasts the full two years of BTSA.  In 2014 I will no longer have a legal CA teaching credential because of this job climate and the BTSA requirement.  I was never at risk of burning out after the first year.  I don't believe that this honors the intent of BTSA.

P.S.  To my blog readers:  If you want to support a struggling math/engineering teacher and author, please buy my first book, "The Romance of Kilimanjaro," soon to be followed by my second book at:  https://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore/book.php?w=9781613464960         Thank You!

No comments:

Post a Comment