Saturday, December 3, 2011

Ocean Kayaking on a Windy Day is a Bad Idea


   After writing a few scenes in my second book, I decided not to ride my bike for my exercise break.  I opted for kayaking instead.  I parked, walked out onto the beach, looked at the ocean, and deemed it "not insane to kayak."  While I was hiding my kayak wheels behind the newest beach attraction, a 1 ft diameter sand conveyance pipe, the wind started to pick up.   I was dressed and ready to go kayaking, so that was what I was going to do despite any wind.
   Getting out through the surf was the easy part.  Paddling against the wind felt like someone had tied a rope mounted on a wall to my kayak and/or I'd caught some giant sea kelp with my fishing line.  I just didn't go anywhere no matter how hard I paddled and leaned flat into my knees.  At least an amazing windsurfer came roaring passed me going at least 25 mph.  I couldn't believe that he could hang on to the sail going that speed through choppy waters!
   The wind finally got dangerously bad, so I called it a day after 50 minutes.  I re-entered the surf zone cautiously, but the wind pushed me into a bad position during a breaking wave.  While twirling around and out of my kayak, my head hit the tail end.  Fortunately, the water was cold and the wind chilled my wet head, so I got instant ice on my bump on the head.

P.S.  To my blog readers:  If you want to support a struggling math/engineering teacher and author, please buy my first book, "The Romance of Kilimanjaro," soon to be followed by my second book at:  https://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore/book.php?w=9781613464960         Thank You!

No comments:

Post a Comment