Wednesday, November 30, 2011

An Eye Opening Language Experience

   Today I was the guest math teacher for the English Language Disabled (ELD) students.  These kids are kind and very respectful.  They stand up when the teacher enters the room at the beginning of the day.  They also stand and say "The Pledge of Allegiance." 
   Every time that I teach this class there is always a new student.  This time we had three new arrivals:  a Cambodian, Mexican, and Vietnamese.  Fortunately, the young Cambodian girl spoke enough English to navigate the work.  The Mexican student had many other Spanish speakers to help him.  The Vietnamese student had just arrived 3 days ago and only knew, "Hello!" when he arrived.  So when I got the class focused on their work, I worked with the Vietnamese student.
   We did a lot of "la, la, la, blu, blu, blu, and grrr, grrr, grrr" to strengthen his tongue and lip muscles.  He liked my bear-clawed fingers when we did the "grrr." It always amazes me how difficult English is to learn.  I am so glad that I'm a native English speaker.  What was someone thinking when they created and spelled words like turquoise, beige, and light? 

No comments:

Post a Comment