Saturday, November 19, 2011

Traveling During Thanksgiving

    Being a guest math teacher, I'm used to waking up early.  So, I decided to wake up really early---4am---and get through LaLa Land (Los Angeles) before everyone woke up and clogged the highways.  I didn't actually hit the road until 4:45am, but I had no traffic!!!  I made it all the way to Monterey without one traffic jam.  Hallelujah!
   It's been great to see my dad, his girlfriend, and my aunt and uncle here.  My aunt and uncle took us to where they first met, the old Hotel Del Monte which is the post graduate school for naval officers.  As we entered a spectacularly beautiful naval officer compound in Monterey, my uncle, a retired naval commander, got a formal salute from the guard.  What a reminder to me of the power wielded by my uncle who loving taught me so many life skills when I visited his family every summer! 
   What a wonderful beginning of my Thanksgiving holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment