Sunday, April 1, 2012

Project Move: Day 32 Finished

    No, the boxes are not all opened and their contents put in their place, but I'm calling my move completed.  I know where everything is again, though it's not where I'd like it.  That will take another week or two.  However, I'm settled and ready to go to work as an "At Risk" secondary math teacher at an alternative high school.  My clothes are pressed, shoes polished, truck ready for the commute, appropriate teaching items discovered and loaded into the truck, and fitness membership and equipment purchased.  
    Though I won't be using my new skiis until next season, I went to Clarks Ski Shop in Rancho Cordova and bought everything at a serious discount!  They were so helpful, too!  They had me watch a video about the rocker K-2 skiis, so that I could understand the new technology, since my skiis are from 1982 and museum worthy.  Apparently, the rocker skiis are based on snowboarding technology which is what I've been doing while I wasn't skiing.  My kids wanted to snowboard, not ski, so I snowboarded with them.  I prefer the control of skiing, especially now that I'm older and don't want to get injured though.
     When I asked Clarks about ski clubs, they said that Alpine Adventures has Winterset for adults, as well as Snowdrifters for the kids.  They have scheduled bus trips to the slopes with discounted tickets and optional lessons.  When I was a kid, I was part of Avalanche Ski Club which did the same thing.  That's how I became an expert skier---catching the bus at the Arden-Arcade donut shop at 5:30am, sleeping and eating breakfast on the bus, skiing all day, hopping back on the bus at a specified time, and heading home.  I did that almost every Saturday with my friends.  It's fabulous that they have this for adults, too.  Next season I'm joining!!!
      After lunch at Rubios, which just isn't the same as San Diego's Rubios, I headed to Sacramento State Aquatic Center at Lake Natoma.  They'd previously given me a tour of the facilities.  I noted then that they had stationary bikes and rowing machines for inclemental-weather-day exercise.  After reading their catalog, I decided to get a Paddling Membership.  With that I can use their weight and locker rooms after work; borrow single-sit-on-top kayaks, tandem kayaks when I have guests, yak kayaks with the yokes, canoes, rowing ergometers (whatever they are), and Stand-Up Boards; and get discounts on their classes and outtings.  I also signed up for a river kayaking class, stand-up paddle class, and sunset paddle later in April and May.  What fun to have this center 3 miles from me!
     Now I'm ready to live, work, and play in Sacramento.  All I have to do now is pick out an outfit for work tomorrow and get a good nights sleep.  5:30am is going to be tough at first, but I'll get used to waking up at that time every morning.  How nice to know exactly what time to get up and where I'm driving every week day.  No more substitute teaching and living like a fireman waiting for the call to tell me where to go!  I'm a contracted teacher!!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment