Sunday, April 22, 2012

Working With "At Risk" Students Update

     Another week of my new job has passed, and I still feel blessed to have this job teaching "At Risk" high school students math.  This week I not only taught math, but dealt with reverse racial discrimination and lessons about pride.  This population of students ranging from 16-24 need a whole lot more than a math teacher.  They need adults in their life who are successfully navigating this hazardous, but beautiful world.
     We've had about 4 students pass through math, their last barrier to "Seniors" class and high school graduation or a GED.  At first, I didn't understand why they were monopolizing my time by asking questions and being insistent about me grading their worksheets.  They wanted their check-off list signed off.  They have had their high school diploma out of reach for so many years and now it was in reach.  I was the only bottleneck left to the end---graduating from high school and getting a job.
     Unfortunately, these focused students took my focus away from some of the quiet flounderers.  I still managed to find time for my students on the opposite side of achievement.  My boxer has found a way to stay awake via leg exercises and a hand exerciser to keep his blood pressure higher.  He still hasn't passed his last major test of Module 1, but he's getting better and better scores.  He's learning math!
    I did have the misfortune of dealing with a young African American student who strongly dislikes white people.  She refused to let me help her.  Only my Asian Indian co-teacher was allowed to help her.  The worst occurred when I gently tapped this student's shoulder to get her to pay attention to this other teacher's announcement and the student spurted out, "Don't touch me!"  I felt like she treated me like a contagious disease. 
    At that point my other teacher and I had a talk with her.  The other teacher was very aware of the racial prejudice occurring and talked to her about it.  All the young lady would say is, "I just feel more comfortable with Ms. Partha."
    I explained at the end of the meeting, "We are getting you ready to get a job.  You will have to work with a lot of other people and this behavior will not fly." 
    Fortunately, I have mostly positive experiences with the students.  One student who is especially interested in my life and normally very pleasant mentioned how wrong it was that the teacher who had the vacuum cleaner that he took wanted him to apologize for taking it without asking her.  He also is busy reading a lot about inner peace. 
     I explained, "Pride is the reason why you don't want to apologize.  Pride is getting in the way of peace."  He agreed and darted off to apologize to her.  It's moments like that which make me thankful for the long road that I've traveled to become ready to be a teacher at this school with so many needs.

P.S.  To my blog readers:  If you want to support a struggling math/engineering teacher and author, please buy my first book, "The Romance of Kilimanjaro," soon to be followed by my second book at:  https://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore/book.php?w=9781613464960         Thank You!

No comments:

Post a Comment