Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Settling in as a Teacher

    Day two went as well as day 1.  My classes weren’t just on good behavior, because it was my first day.   They are well behaved!  So classroom management is not my major focus, teaching is.   My biggest challenge is keeping track of which username goes with what secure government network---Job Corp or SIATech High School.

     Once I mastered the computer networks, I was able to take attendance, unlock exams for students that didn’t pass the first two, and check and answer my business e-mail.  I also had time to understand what AutoCAD commands the students are learning in their mathematics modules, so I could help them. 

     Of course, the students ask, “When will I ever use AutoCAD?”  So this morning to answer this question, I mounted on the wall one of my landscape, gazebo, and toxic and combustible gas delivery system designs which were drawn using AutoCAD or TurboCAD.   I also mounted a CVD pentagonal chamber design that someone designed using AutoCAD and a chart about the different types of fasteners.  What other math class would a fastener poster be appropriate?  Only this one for the students learning trades.

     At the end of the day I graded papers and attended my first staff meeting.  The other staff is really friendly and isn’t political or cynically complaining about the administration or district.  We just have our principal, who’s friendly and supportive.  The rest of the administration is in Oceanside, so we have a long leash.  It’s going to be a wonderful work life!  How wonderful to finally find my teaching niche!!!

P.S.  To my blog readers:  If you want to support a struggling math/engineering teacher and author, please buy my first book, "The Romance of Kilimanjaro," soon to be followed by my second book at:  https://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore/book.php?w=9781613464960         Thank You!

No comments:

Post a Comment