Thursday, April 12, 2012

Got Wireless? I Didn't!

      If you're an avid reader of my blog, you've probably noticed how I've been off line for many days.  Well, my new condo has been quite a challenge for my internet carrier, Comcast.  Sometimes my internet and land line worked, and sometimes they didn't.  During the first lapse of service, I just about exploded in a temper tantrum.  Then I settled in to just being highly disappointed in Comcast and trapped by their monopoly of our area.
     Fortunately, the last of the four internet technicians, the Navy SEAL of Comcast, arrived.  I decided that I was going to ask him as many questions as I could about his cabling and the ease of tampering with that cabling.  Who knew?  Someone on the outside of the condo could just be trying to make me crazy via internet connection loss.
     He showed me where the cables entered the condo and where the amplifier for the neighborhood is located---right across from my garage.  With that configuration my internet should be lightening fast like the service of my neighbor, who also has and loves Comcast.
     The technician also explained that lifting the inside cables to vacuum couldn't bring my internet down.  When he discovered all the "Daisy Chains" in the cabling inside my home, he was concerned.  "Daisy Chains" in most technical applications, whether plumbing or electrical, reduce efficiency.  I knew that all too well from redesigning high vacuum pump systems to reduce any inefficiencies like distance, bends, and "Daisy Chains."
     My internal lightbulb went on, "What if we move the motem downstairs by the TV where the cable comes into the condo?  That will get rid of one 'Daisy Chain'."
     "If you have a phone line by the cable connection, I'll do that.  That location would work much better."
      I searched for a phone jack, but there was none near the cable.  There was a security system box in the closet on the other side of the wall though.  I knew that that system is linked to the home land line, so I suggested drilling a hole through the wall to the closet to get to that line.
      It worked!  He did all the work neatly and stayed about 3 hours reinstalling the motem in the new location.  In the end he got me lightening-fast, reliable Internet!!!   Now I'm much happier with Comcast.  I'm much happier to be able to Google directions, find businesses and churches again, check the stock market which crashed while my internet was down, and keep up with my Facebook friends.  Hopefully, I'll never lose my internet connection here again.

P.S.  To my blog readers:  If you want to support a struggling math/engineering teacher and author, please buy my first book, "The Romance of Kilimanjaro," soon to be followed by my second book at:  https://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore/book.php?w=9781613464960         Thank You!

No comments:

Post a Comment