Thursday, April 26, 2012

When People Steal

     This morning a student walked in complaining that her $10 bill was missing from her dorm room and there was no way that it left her room alone.  Thoughts of my Appalachian mother-in-law's quip in that situation came to mind and I repeated it, "If they had to steal it, then they needed it more than you do."
     "What?  I needed that money!  What the heck?  If they needed it more than me, then they could have asked for it."  A few minutes later she asked me to put that up as my quote of the day.
     "But you were offended by it."
     "No, it's actually funny."
     "It does take you from the feeling of being violated to actually putting yourself in the thief's shoes."  So I wrote it up on the board under my quotes of the day with the caveat, "...but it's still wrong btw."
     She loved the little addendum, "...but it's still wrong btw."

P.S.  To my blog readers:  If you want to support a struggling math/engineering teacher and author, please buy my first book, "The Romance of Kilimanjaro," soon to be followed by my second book at:  https://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore/book.php?w=9781613464960         Thank You!

No comments:

Post a Comment