Saturday, July 4, 2015

Mom Going Out With a Bang on the 4th of July!

    Tonight I drove around during the time that Mom died 12 years ago on the 4th of July, 10:30 pm, and listened to all the fireworks going off continually during the late evening hours.  One thing Sacramento does well is fireworks.  There are stands at almost every major street corner to sell them and illegal fireworks are easy to get.  My mom certainly heard all these fireworks as she passed to the world to come.  She went out quickly with a massive stroke and with a bang of exploding fireworks.  What a wonderful way to go!
     To commemorate her 12th year of leaving in such an auspicious way, I drove through the Murder corridor, the Howe Avenue corridor, where I knew that they would have the most awesome illegal fireworks, since I missed the 9 pm Cal Expo professional display.  The gangs did not let me down.  They are patriots.  Just like Nebuchadnezzar did some good in his life by returning the Jews from exile, these gangs made my 4th of July wonderful by shooting off illegal professional fireworks in their neighborhoods late into the night.  They kept moving them so as not to get caught which made driving around quite exiting---never knowing where they were going to stage the next round of high flyers.
     In Sacramento we don't just light off fireworks from 9 to 9:30 pm over some large body of water in a professional display with music.  We don't let a minute of night on the 4th of July going without a blast of celebration for our independence.  The only music we need is that of "the bombs bursting in air!"  Thank you Sacramento for blasting off the fireworks in celebration of our independence and gloriously sending off a beloved Daughter of the American Revolution, my mom, to the next world.  You are my hometown and my beloved true home.



P.S.  To my blog readers:  If you want to support a struggling math/engineering teacher and author, please buy my first book, "The Romance of Kilimanjaro," soon to be followed by my second book at:  https://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore/book.php?w=9781613464960         Thank You!

No comments:

Post a Comment