Saturday, May 5, 2012

Finally Found Some Hills to Bike in Flat Sacramento

    On Saturdays the American River Bike Trail is well used, so it's quite safe for a single woman to ride on it without too much worry about being accosted.  I still have a knuckle-mounted mace container on my hand.  When a man did ride up along that side of me, he may have noticed that, dropped back, and went the other way.  Oh, well, I guess there's no winning---I can't meet anyone on the bike trail, because I'm too busy keeping myself safe while I exercise there.
    Instead of just going around Lake Natoma, I decided to bike all the way to Folsom Lake where the hills are.  The Natoma and Folsom Lake dams were letting out an enormous amount of water.  It was quite beautiful to see so much white-water flowing voraciously over the dams and into the river below.  The river flooded the river islands and raced downward to Sacramento and ultimately, the Bay Area.
     As I was heading back another female rider took both her hands off the wheel to warn me and show me the size of the snake that I was about to encounter.  It took a few minutes for me to ride passed it, but she wasn't kidding.  I'm glad that I was speeding downhill when I passed.  I'd hate to be moving slowly uphill and not being able to clear that snake fast.
     Upon arriving back to Gold River, I stopped for a yogurt.  With every bite I listened to the foreigners speak in their language.  They must have been doing some sort of business with their tones and posturing inflections.  They looked like Arabs. There's a lot of different foreigners at the Starbucks a great deal of the time.  Interesting.  I have no idea why.
     Once my empty stomach was satisfied, I went home to stretch amongst my profusely-blooming roses.  The pain in my back started up quickly, even after stretching it.  Pulling up the hills always tweaks those middle-back muscles.  There's nothing like Advil and a Body Fit Stretch Ball to relax those muscles though.  At least I know that this single woman got her exercise today!

P.S.  To my blog readers:  If you want to support a struggling math/engineering teacher and author, please buy my first book, "The Romance of Kilimanjaro," soon to be followed by my second book at:  https://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore/book.php?w=9781613464960         Thank You!

No comments:

Post a Comment