Thursday, May 3, 2012

Boxing Deals

    My boxer had to get bad news today.  I graded his paper test that I painstakingly created just for him, since he couldn't pass the computerized test after months of tries.  If he passed my test, he could go on to the second module.  If he got less than 70%, he'd violate his new contract and be in danger of getting kicked out.  He got a 50%, but I advocated for him with the other math teacher.  I told her that I'd have him do Module 1 over.  That's 22 tests.  It's better than kicking him out for lack of progress.
     He took the news surprisingly well when I handed him a new Module 1 sheet with asterisks on the tests that he had to retake based upon his performance.  After class he informed me that he couldn't take the old master tests, because they were locked.  A student only gets two tries on master tests unless a teacher deletes old tests. 
     So I went into the old master tests and deleted his worst of his former tests for each lesson.  I was shocked that the teacher that I'd replaced had cut multiple deals with this student.  His old Module 1 testing sheet and the computer scores told me the whole story.  He wasn't able to get 80% or above on numerous lessons, so she gave him a paper test that was easier.  She didn't do him any favors.  He wasn't ready to be moved on.  He was passed forward to failure which is exactly how most of these SIATech students got here.
     Now I've learned how to be a better teacher.  Tough love means that I have to make my students do their work, no matter how my heart breaks for them.  They have to be ready to move on, or they'll be stuck in a stupor of failure, give up, and be on the street again. 
     Fortunately, my boxer is understanding my life lessons about being a famous athlete.  I informed him that you only make money when you're young and then you need a job.  He told me that he'd buy a boxing gym for his second job.
     I remember when he told me that I spurted, "Boy, did you just tell the wrong person that you're going to buy a gym to support yourself!  I lost 1.2 million dollars owning a gym.  They're a money pit, especially if you can't do math.  Your business manager will still from you and you won't even know it."
      Later he said that his grandpa would manage his money, so I was still concerned that my boxer might drop out of high school for boxing.  Today though he mentioned that with his sponsor he'd make $5000/month.  I explained that that would not support a family, and you've got to have two ways to make money, in case you lose one of your jobs. 
     Then he added, "$5000/month won't even support my grocery bill," and we laughed.  He's starting to understand the math after all!   As he was leaving he told the other teacher and me, "I love you guys!" :-)
    
P.S.  To my blog readers:  If you want to support a struggling math/engineering teacher and author, please buy my first book, "The Romance of Kilimanjaro," soon to be followed by my second book at:  https://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore/book.php?w=9781613464960         Thank You!

No comments:

Post a Comment